If you are a fan of the old Buffalo Nickel design and you want to add some high-quality gold to your collection then the 2023 1 oz American Gold Buffalo Coin is the coin you need. This coin is super popular for its beautiful, classic design. Collectors love the peace of mind that comes from getting a coin that comes from the United States Mint.
- Made of 1 oz. .9999 fine gold
- Face value of $50 USD backed by the US Government
- Design inspired by the famous Buffalo Nickel originally minted in 1913
- Obverse: The profile of a Native American man, designed by American sculptor James Earle Fraser. Inscriptions: “Liberty”, the year of mintage, and the initial “F”.
- Reverse: The recognizable rendering of an American Bison, also referred to as an American Buffalo. The standing American Bison faces to the left on a grassy hill. Inscriptions: “E Pluribus Unum”, “United States of America”, “In God We Trust”, “$50” as well as the weight and purity.
The Gold American Buffalo coin was released in 2006 and they were quickly snatched up by collectors as this was the first 24-karat gold coin that the US Mint made for the public. Previously, the mint had only offered the Gold American Eagle which was .9167 fine gold which is equal to around 22 karats. The mint produced them to compete with other nations around the world who were already making 24k gold coins.
The obverse side of the coin features a slightly different version of James Earle Fraser’s Buffalo Nickel design. The Buffalo Nickel was produced from 1913 to 1938. The image is of a Native American Man with headdress and ties in his braided hair facing to the right. This very detailed design is so detailed you can see the lines on his face and bags under the man’s eyes giving a sense of realism. Above his forehead is ‘LIBERTY’. Under his image are ‘2023’ and ‘F’.
On the reverse of the coin is an American Bison which was so often mislabeled that it has become acceptable to say Buffalo. The “buffalo” is grazing on the field and fills the entire side of the coin with its enormity. Above is ‘United States of America’. Just under this text is ‘E PLURIBUS UNUM’ which is Latin for ‘From many, one’. Below the buffalo’s head is ‘IN GOD WE TRUST’. At the bottom edge of the coin is ‘$50 1 oz. .9999 FINE GOLD’.
The 2023 1 oz American Gold Buffalo Coin is a classic coin that celebrates one of the most popular designs ever made, the Buffalo Nickel. This would look super great in your collection. Get yours today.