The 2006 American Gold Buffalo coin is the first time the US Mint offered this coin in 24-karat Gold. This particular coin is graded at ‘MS69’ by the PCGS and is part of their First Strike series of coins, coins minted in the first 30 days. This coin takes this design and recreates it in beautiful .9999 fine gold. The result is a gorgeous coin that makes the original design really shine. The American Gold Buffalo Coin is a very popular coin already included in many collections all over the world. Collectors love the design and the quality they are used to seeing from the US Mint.
- Made of 1 Troy oz. .9999 fine gold
- Low Mintage of only 337,012 available worldwide
- Face value of $50 USD backed by the US Government
- Design inspired by the famous Buffalo Nickel originally minted in 1913
- The obverse side has the profile of a Native American man, designed by American sculptor James Earle Fraser. Inscriptions: “Liberty”, ‘2006’ and ‘F’ for Fraser
- On the reverse is the recognizable rendering of an American Bison, also referred to as an American Buffalo. The standing American Bison faces to the left on a grassy hill. Inscriptions: “E Pluribus Unum”, “United States of America”, “In God We Trust”, “$50” as well as the weight and purity.
- Graded at MS69 by the PCGS and were part of the First Strike, minted in the first 30 days of production
The Gold American Buffalo coin was released in 2006 and they were quickly snatched up by collectors as this was the first 24-karat gold coin that the US Mint made for the public. Previously, the mint had only offered the Gold American Eagle which was .9167 fine gold which is equal to around 22 karats. The mint produced them to compete with other nations around the world who were already making 24k gold coins.
The obverse side of the coin features a slightly different version of James Earle Fraser’s Buffalo Nickel design. The Buffalo Nickel was produced from 1913 to 1938. The image is of a Native American Man with headdress and ties in his braided hair facing to the right. This very detailed design is so detailed you can see the lines on his face and bags under the man’s eyes giving a sense of realism. Above his forehead is ‘LIBERTY’. Under his image are ‘2006 and ‘F’ for Fraser.
On the reverse of the coin is an American Bison which was so often mislabeled that it has become acceptable to say Buffalo. The “buffalo” is grazing on the field and fills the entire side of the coin with its enormity. Above is ‘United States of America’. Just under this text is ‘E PLURIBUS UNUM’ which is Latin for ‘From many, one’. Below the buffalo’s head is ‘IN GOD WE TRUST’. At the bottom edge of the coin is ‘$50 1 oz. .9999 FINE GOLD’.
To get one of these 2006 American Gold Buffalo coins is pretty special. To get one rated at MS69 is extraordinary. To get this coin that was struck in the first 30 days of this coin being offered is remarkable. This is a fantastic find. Get yours today.
Product ReviewsLogin to Review
There are no reviews yet.