From 1836 to 1873, the United States made silver dollars. The mint stopped making silver dollars for a few years after the Coinage Act of 1873. In 1878, the Morgan Silver Dollar was introduced. Starting that year, three mints made the Morgan Silver Dollar. The lowest mintage numbers came from the Carson City Mint making these coins hard to find. This is the 1884 Carson City Morgan Silver Dollar.
- Each coin comes in a plastic GSA case with a letter of authenticity
- Discovered in 1960s by the US Treasury as a trove of coins never circulated
- Made of .77344 Troy oz of .90 fine silver
- Face value of $1 (USD) backed by United States Government
- On the obverse is a depiction of Lady Liberty
- The reverse side has the heraldic eagle
- Carson City Mint ‘s mark (CC)
- Original plastic GSA cases may have a little wear and tear as they are over 60 years old
In the 1960s the US Treasury discovered a trove of Morgan Silver dollars in their vaults. These coins dated from 1878-1890. Somehow these coins had been forgotten for over 50-60 years. It was decided the Government Services Administration would handle the auction. The GSA packaged them in a nice case and a letter of authenticity. These coins are in the original case so consequently, while the coin was kept safe, the case may have a little wear and tear. Of the coins found in this trove, only 61,000 are 1878 Carson City Morgans.
On the obverse side of this coin is Lady Liberty as designed by George T. Morgan. She is wearing a coronet and has a wreath on her head. Above her head is written ‘E. Pluribus Unum’. Below her portrait are 13 stars and the date of issue.
The reverse side of the coin has the heraldic eagle with wings spread out. Morgan’s version of the heraldic eagle doesn’t have a shield with it. Above the eagle is ‘UNITED STATES of AMERICA.’ Just below these words is ‘IN GOD WE TRUST’, Below the image is ‘ONE DOLLAR’. Right above these words is the CC that confirms this is a Carson City minting.
This is your opportunity to buy a rare coin that is highly sought after. The 1884 Carson City Morgan Silver Dollar Coin will fit nicely into your collection. Get yours today.
Product ReviewsLogin to Review
There are no reviews yet.